Nellie Spicer from ESPN The Magazine.

Nellie Spicer from ESPN The Magazine.

Real Sport Bodies

The Real Sport Bodies projects aims to be a series of honest, fine art implied nude portraits of the everyday person who respects and challenges their bodies and aims to be a role model for others.  The goal is to capture images of real people who love sport, health, and fitness and have the desire to share the successes and failures through photography.  These portraits tell the stories of their achievements, personalities, struggles, and insecurities.  Real Sport Bodies is the visual story of who we are, where we have been, why we love sports and fitness, and how it makes us feel.

Sample/Inspirational Images

Below sample gallery represents the style of imagery to be produced.  Copyrights belong to their respective owners.

Participation / FAQ

  • We are looking for unpaid volunteers who want to be a role model and tell their story of a healthy and fit lifestyle.  Individuals that utilize organize sports, either current or recent past, are of high demand.
  • "I'm not pretty / skinny / fit / strong / young / tall  enough to do something like this" ----- WRONG!  This project is all about the diversity and stories of real people that love their bodies and a healthy lifestyle.  We want to work with men and women of all body types that have a story to inspire others to get, or stay healthy.
  • "Can I be photographed with 1 or 2 others? --- ASOLUTELY!  The comradery of people working together towards a common goal is a great story to tell behind the image. 

About the shoots

  • Participants must be 21 years old to participate.  This project welcomes both men and women.
  • Shoots take approximately 2 hours to complete and includes a 30 min interview.  Synopsis of interview will be included with imagery in final gallery.
  • Shoot location will be at studio location or participants preferred workout location.
  • Participants will be able to use the images we send to you how you like if and only if appropriate credit is given. (i.e., Brian Gray / Real Sport Bodies)
  • Participants will have the ability to choose which poses are used for public and private display.
  • Implied nudes here will be defined where neither female nipples nor male or female genitalia will be present in final imagery. 
  • Participants will nude on set.
  • All participants will sign a model release granting permission to use your images for editorial, artistic and the like purposes.

Background / Inspiration

Debuting in October of 2009, ESPN The Magazine issued its first Body Issue featuring dozens of athletes in nude and semi-nude photographs.  Tennis star Serena Williams, NFL's Adrian Peterson, surfer Kelly Slater, NBA's Blake Griffen and Mixed martial artist Ronda Rousey have all graced the issue throughout the nine year run of the issue.

These individuals are the top 0.01% of athletic ability and physical performance.  They just don't work for these bodies, they get paid to do so!  This people don't represent the reality of what strength and health of the everyday person is all about.  What about the rest of us, the 99.99% that stay fit for all those reasons other than money.  What do we look like? What is our story?